Cancelling Application and marking passport as ‘lost’

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion Cancelling Application and marking passport as ‘lost’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hrg_1987
    Participant

I’m in a bit of a desperate situation – i need to cancel my daughter’s passport renewal application, then book a fast track appointment. I was told it would take 1-2 weeks for her old passport to come back, but looking on here it could take anywhere up to 4 weeks which is cutting it far too fine.

Has anyone cancelled an application, waited 2 weeks, then logged the old passport as ‘lost’ if it hadn’t arrived, then booked a lost passport fast track appointment? Would that work?

tash123
    Participant

I have been reading this forum for weeks now. Just wanted to give a bit of hope for people.
    I applied for a name change renewal online on 2/3. After no updates and too many phone calls to count I was starting to worry. On the advice of someone I spoke to I decided to report my old passport as lost as documents were still not being updated as received. On the 18/03 I booked a fast track appointment for 25/3. (My documents then got updated as received but this didn’t seem to matter).
    On my appointment I took all documents I needed (had to re order a new birth certificate) photos, a filled in form, proof I had filed my lost passport. A handwritten letter stating I wished to cancel my current application.
    I fly on the 5/4 so I had 11 days from the appointment, still I was worried sick and had no faith in HMPO at this point.

My passport has just been posted through my door! 5 days after the appointment. I can’t believe it! All that stress and sleepless nights.

If you have the money cancel your application and go to fast track guys!

hrg_1987
    Participant

Thanks so much for this. Just to clarify, were you able to log your passport as lost, even though the passport office had it already? I was told by the advice line that I couldn’t do that.

tash123
    Participant

Yes I was able to. 2 people on the advice line told me I couldn’t but the last lady I spoke to who was lovely and so helpful said it can be done. I was over the recommended 11 days waiting for the documents to be received so I took it as they were lost in transit

tash123
    Participant

Although about an hour before I reported it as lost they updated my application to documents received. Still worked out fine for me

TikTac
    Participant

I called HMPO last week about moving my current application for renewal to fast track and was told that I do not need to bring my passport with me. I would need to write a letter stating that I want to withdraw my current application and as my passport was already received by HMPO, they would be able to see it on the system and proceed with fast Track. I never went to fast track appointment but this might work for you.

hrg_1987
    Participant

Thank you. Did you state that it had been lost in transit when you submitted the lost report online?
    How long did it take them to confirm the withdrawal of the application?
    Sorry for all the questions, I’m so anxious about this. Its all I can think about at the moment.

tash123
    Participant

I just said that it was lost in transit and put down the date I sent it to HMPO as the date it had been lost since.

To withdraw my application I was told to write 2 hand written letters explaining I wanted to cancel current application because my documents appeared lost in transit. I also said I have booked a fast track and included the current application reference number. I then had to post 1 letter to the same place I posted the documents but as letters are taking 2 weeks to open they advised me to pay for track delivery. Then I took the other copy of the letter with me along with my proof of posting receipt to prove I had posted it.
    Hope that makes sense.
    I wasn’t sure this would all work after hearing so many conflicting stories but the lady in the appointment told me loads of people have been doing the same.

Hope this helps

tash123
    Participant

Also I have received my original application fee back into my account today!
    Nice surprise as I was told you are not reimbursed for that:)

hrg_1987
    Participant

So I sent a letter off signed recorded delivery (will arrive tomorrow morning) requesting that the application be cancelled and my daughter’s old passport be returned.
    Realistically when will they withdraw the application and return the passport?
    If its been 3 weeks and I’ve not had the passport back and/or they’ve not withdrawn the application, can I report the passport as lost?
    Thank you!

tash123
    Participant

Well I was told it’s taking them 2 weeks to open letters and 3/4 weeks to send things back. But it’s so hard to know with all these conflicting stories. If you have a bit of time before you travel then maybe you can afford to hang on for a bit. At least you have the option of doing what I did if it looks like you won’t receive them in time.
    Yes you can report it as lost if you don’t receive it in 3 weeks definitely.
    I waited 2 weeks to report it lost when I sent it to them

hrg_1987
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help, I so appreciate it. Did you report it as lost online? If so, does it just go through automatically or does someone have to contact you to confirm it?

tash123
    Participant

Yes I did it online then had a text saying they have received my lost passport request and will contact me when it’s done. I still haven’t received confirmation that it’s done but that text message alone was enough for the passport office as proof.
    You’re welcome, I know how stressful the whole thing is, hope you get somewhere soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.