Childs first passport from overseas

Home Forums COVID-19 Childs first passport from overseas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ricksrod
    Participant

I’ve been reading through the various threads and have noticed a couple of instances of people applying for a childs first passport that was born overseas. If anyone is or has been in the same situation, could you provide some information around timelines etc? Were interviews required?

Thanks

kjb_canada
    Participant

Applied for first child passport from Canada. Infant has one British parent, one Canadian, and was born in Canada this spring.

NB: the passport office needed birth certificates and marriage certificates from all grandparents, as well as birth certificate and documents from one parent (despite one parent being a british passport holder). Gathering up these documents took some additional time.

Passport received 4 August 2020
    Passport printed and sent 29 July 2020
    Application approved 28 July 2020
    — ca. 8 July: received a request for a new person to confirm identity and further documentation —
    Application being processed 8 June 2020
    Documents received 5 June 2020
    —Long delay – express mail from Canada to the UK (guaranteed at 3 days) took 3 weeks—
    Application received 6 May 2020
    Identity details received 6 May 2020
    Email sent to person confirming your identity 5 May 2020
    Ask someone to confirm your identity 5 May 2020
    Application submitted 5 May 2020

ricksrod
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience @kjb_canada.

Can I ask how they contacted you to request the further documentation and the reason that someone else had to confirm identity? Just trying to preempt any potential issues.

Also -which office processed your application?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by ricksrod.
    kjb_canada
    Participant

@ricksrod, sorry for the delay, I didn’t see your questions til just now.

1. They sent an email (this went to my updates folder in Gmail, so I was lucky to spot it). This never appeared in the online ‘track your application’ tool.

2. The original guarantor was accepted as a civil servant not related by marriage, despite being a domestic partner to a relative. In the subsequent letter the passport office said that they now thought that the guarantor probably was related to us after all… not such a surprise, I had been a little shocked that they would discount domestic partnerships!

3. We were directed to send everything to Durham.

ricksrod
    Participant

No worries @kjb_canada – thanks for taking the time to respond!

krys_tyna
    Participant

@kjb_canada hi came across your reply to @risrod and this is very helpful in my case. I am applying for my child’s passport as one parent is British and baby is born overseas as well. I have all the documents including grandparents birth certificates. I just want to clarify the part where I need to submit an uncancelled non british passport. Does that mean that I need to secure a coloured copy of the passport (page per page) for my child where my child is born and send that as part of the required documents.

krys_tyna
    Participant

@kjb_canada We are currently stuck due to travel restrictions but we are ready with all the documents and upon seeing the part that says “a full colour copy of any other uncancelled passports relating to you” got me unsure to complete and fill in the online application as they only allow at least 6 weeks for them to recieve the docs.

Thank you in advance!

kjb_canada
    Participant

@krys_tyna As with the previous reply, I’m sorry I’ve only just seen your response now. I don’t seem to get email notifications from this thread.

I’m afraid I don’t have any direct experience of the request for colour copies of other passports – this wasn’t something they asked for in our case. The passport office do have an advice line you can call. Although they can’t advise on expected dates for passport processing, they may be able to clarify what you need to send regarding other passports.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

hariwolly
    Participant

Hi guys can you tell me how long you guys have been waiting or waited to get your first child passports

uilfut
    Participant

Applied for first child passport from Canada. Infant has one British parent, one Canadian, and was born in Canada this spring.

NB: the passport office needed birth certificates and marriage certificates from all grandparents, as well as birth certificate and documents from one parent (despite one parent being a british passport holder). Gathering up these documents took some additional time.

Hi KJB

I’m also about to apply from Canada. Can I ask, were you born after 1 Jan 1983? I’m deciding what documents to send and I believe it makes a difference.

I don’t have a “full” birth certificate (with grandparents’ names). But I was born before 1983 so my parents names are irrelevant to my British citizenship (the rules changed after I was born, before 1983 if you were born in the UK you were automatically British).

They’re asking for a full birth certificate to be sent in, and I’m tempted to just send the shorter one I have, rather than wait for the full version from the local council.

Also, did you child have a Canadian passport? Did you declare this (and send it to the UK with the application)?

TIA

Will

weirdprit
    Participant

Hi All,

I too applied for my child’s first British passport from Canada. It took about 3 weeks between Canada Post and the Royal Mail to deliver to Durham Delivery Office. The first time it was sent to the National Returns Centre in Belfast, Northern Ireland and then redirected back to Durham – strange.

I submitted my child’s Ontario Birth Certificate, my UK long version Birth Certificate (from 1988 when I was born) and my Marriage Certificate (they wanted proof that I as the father am married to the Mother of the Child on their Birth Cert).

Question: Did I also need to send in my parents (my child’s grandparents) marriage certificate or birth certificates – although my parents were British Citizens for the last 40+ years, they were born outside of the UK so it is tough to obtain their birth certificates.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

TIA,
    Jack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.