Death of Her Majesty the Queen

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion Death of Her Majesty the Queen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bohney
    Participant

I sincerely hope that the unfortunate death of Queen Elizabeth II won’t cause further delays in the issuance of passports, given that the text within refers to “her” (Elizabeth) and not “him” (Charles).

Does anyone know if they will still issue new passports that reference her while they work on the new ones that reference him? Hopefully there isn’t some arcane law that prevents the creation of new documents referencing the previous monarch, as this could throw a spanner in a lot of holiday plans.

bohney
    Participant

Well, shortly after I posted this query, I got a text message update saying my application has been approved and my passport is being printed. It appears as though this sad event will not delay the printing of passports. When I get it, I’ll update this thread to let you know if they’ve already updated the text in the passport for King Charles III.

djbdane
    Participant

Your passport will not have a reference to the King that I can assure you – firstly it’s simply too soon after her death and old stock that references the queen will still be issued – it doesn’t impact the legality of the document in any way.

BeaversWithAttitude
    Participant

I had this question, too. However, I only applied online from Canada on August 31, and my supporting documents (old UK passport/Canadian passport photocopy) are currently still in transit in the UK. In theory, it could be another 8-9 weeks – or longer – before my passport is renewed. I wonder how long it will be before new passports in the name of the King will be issued? It’s a bit soon to expect an announcement from the HM Passport Office, but I expect they should make one in the coming weeks.

Foster Twelvetrees
    Participant

I’m sure HMPO will just run down stocks of the ‘blanks’ they currently hold and only start to replace them when they need to do further print runs. HMPO are getting enough bad press withhout being accused of wasting money by binning off perfecty fine and legal passports.

I would not expect many (if any) that are in ‘system’ now will reflect the change in the Monarchy. It took a while to transition from the red to the blue passport, I anticipate it will be the same for this as well.

BeaversWithAttitude
    Participant

I agree with you, Foster. Slowing down the process when it’s already sluggish by turfing perfectly good passport stock, would only waste time and money. Not to mention draw the ire of the public. I’m also hoping Her Majesty will grace my passport this fifth and final time, for the nostalgia’s sake. My supporting documents were received today, 15 minutes ago, so I’m quite sure that She will.

Cheers.

So far – Replacement passport applied for online from Toronto, Canada:
    Online application submitted August 30, 2022
    Old UK passport/CDN passport photocopy posted August 31, 2022
    Old UK passport/CDN passport photocopy received and signed for September 12, 2022

BeaversWithAttitude
    Participant

I should add that my passport is being processed at Durham HMPO.

Foster Twelvetrees
    Participant

Imagine the hue and cry if HMPO announced, hang on chaps we are going to pause the issue of new passports to reflect the change in Monarchy, it ain’t gonna happen.

@Beaver, my passport took 11 weeks from on-line application to being in hand to and from the Philippines – I only got it that quickly because it was succesfully escalated because I was wrongly instructed by them to return my old passpor to thier Liverpool office, which left me legally at large, because I need a valid passport alongside my residency card.

BeaversWithAttitude
    Participant

Haha, word! I hear that. People be rioting in the streets during the Queen’s funeral procession!

I’ve read a few posts where people have been left dangling without enough legal ID. Especially people who send in their second passports to HMPO, leaving themselves with nothing! In Canada, you have to have a Canadian passport to get back into the country. Even if you have another valid passport – from the UK or anywhere else – they won’t even let you board your flight back without it! Canadian permanent residents must have a valid permanent residents’ card, or it’s the same deal – access denied! (I got screwed this way coming back from a funeral in Wales in 2017, when the feds first changed the law. I was stranded at Gatwick for 24 hours, not allowed to board the airplane with a UK passport and Canadian citizenship card as I had been for 25 years. But back then government would grant “special permission” over the internet for people who hadn’t heard about the change. They don’t do that anymore. My friend who was vacationing on a UK passport in the Dominican Republic this summer, lost his Canadian PR card and was stranded until he got it replaced – three months later!).

bohney
    Participant

You all were correct. I got my new (first) passport today, and it still references Her Majesty. I know a lot of people are having incredibly long wait times but for me, from start to finish, the whole process took 3 weeks. Having also applied for passports in the US, I can say that the UK process is so much more transparent. Over in the States, you send off your application and then just wait. There are no updates until you get your passport or don’t.

Kamila
    Participant

In case anyone is wondering, my passport printed on 30 September in Bootle is still referencing Her Majesty.

BeaversWithAttitude
    Participant

Indeed, I received mine on October 2 (printed in Durham September 26, 2022) and issued in the name of Her Royal Highness. I haven’t read anything concrete regarding a date for the switchover to Charles II.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.