Dual national UK passport renewal problem – I’m stuck!

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion Dual national UK passport renewal problem – I’m stuck!

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lopela
    Participant

I have sent off passport renewal for my two children but since the last issued UK passport they now have Spanish passports as there father is a Spanish national. By law in Spain passports are issued with dual surnames and now the Uk and Spanish passport names don’t match. The Spanish consulate in London is on indefinite strike! And I don’t think we can change this even if they could advise us. I have sent off both sets of passports which, like so many others, have been received but not tracked. I just can’t get through by phone to get any advice. Has anyone else had this problem? I applied online but I have now downloaded the old paper application where it has clear notes stating that any other national passport has to be changed to match the UK one before you apply – but it’s not clear if this also refers to renewal. I’m so confused! I wish I could get through to someone as they may eventually tell us we have to withdraw and start again but I think we will lose the fees and time is ticking.

FALLEN
    Participant

Ok so I am in same situation and yes I think you will have to withdraw application but they only gave me an update a month later. Meanwhile I thought my passport was being processed which was not helpful. I have cancelled 3 flights and due to go out on Sunday but that will probably be cancelled as well. No one answers the phone unless you are relentless. I am currently on hold for 2 hours 15 minutes.
    I submitted both passports after requested name change and original marriage certificate. They said they won’t update my UK until I get the other one sorted first. I asked them how can I do that as you have my original marriage certificate…zero understanding. I wrote a letter registered post immediately cancelling application, that was over 2 weeks ago. All they need to do is send back everything as my UK one is still valid but they seem to be having an issue doing so. Total crap service, no customer service and you cannot get through to anyone so you are just a hostage to their poor system. Unfortunately you will just have to wait. Just a tip I was told the UK passport office will not issue a new passport in a different name to your overseas one under any circumstances. I would cancel the current application and ask docs to be returned. Good luck though I’ve been waiting for weeks. Its so stressful I missed a funeral and all of my family are there but no point appealing on compassion grounds because no one cares.

Lopela
    Participant

Dear Fallen

I really appreciate your advice. Although it may have sucked out the last hope I had! I have found a document issued by the Home Office with guidance to the passport office called “Names Aligning on Foreign Documents”, as it is legally required to have two names under Spanish law it should be possible for this to be taken in consideration according to that document. I am just typing a new letter to them as the phone is useless- just cuts off with lines too busy! I admire your grit in holding on when you did get through.

FALLEN
    Participant

No Problem. I also noted in the guidance after I had submitted my passports but it does not make it clear when you apply online. To be honest I wish I never sent in my other one then I would not have this issue. The whole thing is madness. Been on hold for 2 hours 50 minutes. Juts have the stupid music playing whilst I work. Its so stressful and I genuinely cannot believe this happens in a first world country. I’m actually quite horrified by everyone’s comments. People missing funerals and holidays. It was 3 weeks waiting time when I applied which went to 5 now its ten !!! Best of luck

FALLEN
    Participant

3 hours in and now speaking to someone

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.