Government petition to improve passport application process

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion Government petition to improve passport application process

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AnnieS
    Participant

I need 5 people to get this petition going. Then after this, if it is accepted as a petition I will share it again:
    I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?
    Click this link to sign the petition:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/612738/sponsors/new?token=ltRMqWXU_LZfBYiiaK8n

“My petition:
    Improve the UK passport application process and the application tracking system.
    1. Improve the passport tracking information for all passport applications (all methods of application) so that it is accurate, detailed and updated in real-time. 2. Allow all passport applications the option to be fast-tracked or upgraded once submitted (for a fee) for any reason.
    My recent experience of passport renewals has highlighted the need for the passport application system, and the tracking information provided to customers throughout the application process, to be overhauled. I have joined a forum (www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk) and many people feel the same. There is a lack of communication in the system which causes a lot of stress. In addition, there is a lack of flexibility in the system for existing applications. Significant improvements are needed.”

AnnieS
    Participant
    AnnieS
    Participant

Ah, bother I can’t seem to post the link. Will see if I can work this out.

Sarah12345
    Participant

I’ve signed 🙂

bbmilt
    Participant

I’d definitely sign. Here’s my story. Why did my son’s child passport renewal application require his birth certificate to be sent in? Our details and circumstances have not changed. There was no clear explaination and it further delayed our application. When I rang I was first asked if I have parental responsibility!! I am his mother!! We all have the same family name. We should have been an uncomplicated application. The next time I rang they asked if I had ever held a British passport. That is irrelevant. I have been a permanent resident for over 5 years (partner is British) and I have lived in the UK since 2008 (don’t get me started with the Home Office grrr). None of this should matter for a renewal. We clearly passed all those checks when we applied for my son’s first passport. I completely understand why these checks need to be done then, eligibility etc. but not for a renewal. This is the first time I have done the application online. Never had these problems with my daughter and via paper applications. Did the ‘computer say ‘no’?’ As for all the delays and also delivery debarcle, disgraceful. Also why are some families with multiple applications finding inconsistent handling of their applications? Some go through fine but other child’s application delayed? Makes no sense. Totally broken system.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by bbmilt.
    AnnieS
    Participant

I am an ex Head Teacher and I would never have got away with such poor customer service in as school. I would have been closed down. I don’t blame the call handlers. I don’t think they have the information they need. I just think that the whole system needs an overhaul and needs to be more automated with tracking updates in real-time.

Having read everyone’s stress, I am sure that we can all group together to put pressure on the government to change the system for everyone’s good. Please do write to your MPs. I have been in touch with the MP office and my MP’s assistant also found that the passport office gave them inaccurate information. Also a headache for her. It is just a system that needs to be changed. However, if we all leave this forum without raising the issue with people who can change the system, nothing will change. I really hope that my bad experience will help others.

My children’s passports (renewals) went to print on 23rd March, but no further information after this date. We hope to travel to my sister’s wedding on 8th April. Her wedding had already been cancelled twice due to COVID and our passports would have been in date previously. Please do write to your MPs!

AnnieS
    Participant

I need 2 more people to support my petition to get it going!

bbmilt
    Participant

I was always polite to the call handlers. Made sure not to take out my frustrations on them. I know it’s not their fault. It’s the system’s. Besides I think showing politeness with a touch of anxiety may have helped move my application to approved! Always pays to remain calm. People more likely to help you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.