Old Passport Not Returned

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion Old Passport Not Returned

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Poldark
    Participant

My new passport was issued on 17 April but my old passport still hasn’t been returned. It’s now 17 May and I have heard nothing from the Passport Office or the courier. How long does it usually take to return an old passport to the customer?

NS2022
    Participant

Hi there

I receive my passport on 14th April and I have not received my old passport or supporting documents back yet either…it’s painfully slow!

Poldark
    Participant

Thanks. I’m sorry you haven’t received your old passport either, but glad it’s not just me! Good luck.

LAD
    Participant

My British passport was issued and printed on 24 March, and I’m still waiting on the return of my foreign passports and naturalisation certificate. So far, no amount of calling, complaint forms, being put on urgent/ priority lists, or (as of Friday) getting my MP involved has managed to result in anything.

Six-plus weeks ago, someone at HMPO told me that HMPO was prioritising mailing out British passports over returning documents, but everyone should get the documents back within three weeks. I called back the following week and it became four weeks. Now approaching week nine….

I was initially OK with HMPO choosing to do this, but at this point, I’m seriously annoyed. Both of my other countries require me to enter on their passports. So I get to spend another summer separated from family, etc. If HMPO is going to take months to return these documents, it needs to be up-front about this so that people can decide. I would NOT have decided to apply for a British passport if someone told me I would be without my other passports for months on end. I can accept two weeks becoming four; becoming eight-plus is unacceptable.

Poldark
    Participant

Wow, I would be seriously angry too if I were you. That’s disgraceful.

LAD
    Participant

Truly at my wit’s end trying to get my foreign passports (needed to enter those countries) and naturalisation certification back. I will probably just end up replacing my foreign documents. It seems like HMPO is just hiring outsourced call centres to read scripts v. hiring people to sort through documents and mail things.

If anyone has had any luck getting to a person who can help, let me know.

Every time I call, I’m promised a priority / urgent callback. The first priority callback one came from someone who didn’t have access to anything other than the normal web site and TNT tracker. She transferred me, and the call disconnected. I tried calling the number, but it was an outsourcing firm. Called again. Phone line not accepting calls, as it was too busy. Called again. Person transferred me, call disconnected – same as before. Called again and begged not to be transferred unless someone was on the line. Promised another urgent callback. Two days later got a voicemail that consisted of “if you’re still having problems, call the general number.” Again, the number they called from was from an outsourcing firm. Called again. Person transferred me, call dropped. Called again and begged not to be transferred. Now promised another callback “from someone who can help.” When I ask who that person is, the person doesn’t know.

I have wasted so much time trying to get my documents back. At this point, it will take less time to replace them. I just wish I could launch a claim against HMPO to recover the substantial fees in doing so. I’m not sure if there’s any point beyond which the documents will be considered de facto lost, and HMPO will be forced to provide some kind of accounting as to what the hell happened to my documents?

NS2022
    Participant

Oh LAD, I am seriously gutted for you! Today I have received my old passport and marriage certificate but my birth certificate is missing!!!!!!! I am fuming. I too am at my wits end. Going to log another complaint form too! They are going to have to reissue so many documents. To go straight through to the progress team call 0300 105 0850. I’ve been on hold now for about 30 mins (possibly longer). Will let you know if I get through!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.