What counts as a first adult passport?

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion What counts as a first adult passport?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jxe356
    Participant

Say someone is now an adult and applying for a passport, but had a child passport (now 10+ years out of date) which they are sending in… does this count as a renewal (even though it is of a child passport and out of date) or a first adult passport (even though it is not their first)? And would this likely involve an interview (I understand first adult passports usually would, but if they’ve had a child one before)?

djbdane
    Participant

When the child is over 16 they have to apply for their 1st adult passport – the fact they’ve had previous child passports is irrelevant – essentially they are different documents adult passports have a 10 year validity child’s only 5.

djbdane
    Participant

And yet there would probably be the need for an interview – it’s nothing to worry about – very simple questions (speaking from experience) – in my case I had a passport back in the 80’s but because this had expired and was no longer in my possession I had to apply for my first passport even though I had one before – this was due to the time that had lapsed.

jxe356
    Participant

I was just curious as on the first adult specific application page it says:
    You can apply for a first adult passport if all of the following apply:

you’re a British national
    you’re aged 16 or over (or will be in 3 weeks)
    you’ve never had a UK passport before

Which implies there is a difference if you’ve NEVER had a passport before vs having an out of date child one. On the first adult passport page it says you’ll need someone who can confirm your identity and supporting documents, but doesn’t on the generic application page.

On the genetic application page it asks you to send the old passport in (and it asks how old you are when it was issued so they know how old it is but still ask for it) I’m thinking that this could remove the requirement for someone who can confirm your identity and having to send supporting documents / possibly the (soft) requirement for an interview – still a first adult passport but maybe with fewer steps?

Marie-Michelle
    Participant

My son is currently going through the process of Child to adult passport (which is what we are waiting for). His passport expired this month (May 2022) and when I was filling in the documentation online for this I was told that this application was classed as “Adult Renewal”. HMPO requested his child passport for his “documents”. I submitted the application on 25 May, documents were marked as received on 28 May and today I received notification that his application had been approved and the next step is printing.

From what I have been able to find out in the meantime is that if you have lost your passport/it expired a while ago then you “may” have to go through the interview process for a new adult passport. This is not always the case.

julie
    Participant

Hi there. I have applied for my daughters adult passport as her child one has just run out. I was told by post office that it was an adult renewal as she’s previously had a uk passport. I looked online and same as saw that the 1st adult passport route implies not to use it clearly states never had a passport before. So I went down the renewal route paid and was just asked to send back her old passport. I phoned up passport advice line and was then told I’d used the wrong route and it wouldn’t be processed so I had to pay again and use the 1st adult route. So now I’ve got two reference numbers asking to send passport to different addresses. Post office tells me again to ignore first passport route and stick with my original renewal route which I’ve done. Now I’m panicking it’s not going to come in time and get held up as I’ve made 2 applications. Daughters first holiday and I’m already looking at changing dates 🙁 any advice please, thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.