10 weeks wait time exceeded. What next?

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion 10 weeks wait time exceeded. What next?

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 253 total)
  • Author
    Brian27
    Participant

Do you know what passport office it’s at? If so then you can email the upgrade team too. That’s what I’ve done.

Mine was DurhamUpgradeTeam@hmpo.gov.uk

Not sure how helpful it’ll be personally at the moment.

I’m currently sitting at 12 weeks application; 2 week 1 day until I travel so tomorrow I intend on coming down on them like a tonne of bricks.

Also ring the help desk (I know they are useless) but get them to confirm it’s been escalated? I have been told to do that tomorrow once I’ve sent emails etc.

The whole system is a load of rubbish. Having known someone send of 4 passports 2 weeks ago and have them all renewed and received within a week whilst mine has fallen down the back of someones desk. Disgusting. I’m hoping I’ll get my passport soon, but I think I’m going to push the complaint further because it’s really not fair how they’re treating people.

Grumpy
    Participant

@Karrie a few people on this forum have queued at the passport office. I would do this in your position. Really hope you get it 👍

Grumpy
    Participant

@Karrie a few people on this forum have queued at the passport office. I would do this in your position. Really hope you get it 👍

FeckingA
    Participant

Hi, can I join the party?

My ex wife submitted my daughter’s renewal (child passport) on 11/05/2022, with flights booked at that time to fly on 30/07/2022.

Not sure if the 10 week minimum was in place at that time, but if it was it was cutting it close. She’s tried to get it escalated, because she’s flying home to Czech and her mum is quite ill, was in hospital in April this year.

This is the application history from the passport website:
    Documents received 3:42pm on 17 May 2022
    Application received 12:46pm on 11 May 2022
    Identity details received 12:45pm on 11 May 2022
    Email sent to person confirming your identity 11:58am on 11 May 2022
    Ask someone to confirm your identity 11:54am on 11 May 2022
    Application submitted 11:54am on 11 May 2022

She’s got a doctor’s letter from Czech advising her to get the grandchild there, paid for it to be translated, sent all that off, spoken almost daily to the 1st line call people, who just seem to pass messages on.
    Had one call back from the escalation team to say they’ll call within 48 hours, but then never do and she’s on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

I’m due to fly to Rhodes with my daughter on 16/08/2022, now starting to worry my only holiday of the year is going to be cancelled.

If anyone can advise of what more we can do, I’ll take the time off to trek to Liverpool or Newport if I have to.

Thanks,

Aidan

Stressedapplicant
    Participant

Hi Aidan

We’re in a similar situation. Applied to renew my daughter’s passport on 8/5/22 and HMPO confirmed supporting documentation received 16/5/22. Just gone over the 10 week deadline so applied for application to be expedited 2 days ago. No info about when it’ll be dealt with and we’re due to be travelling in just over 3 weeks. Spoke to advice line and was told I’d have a text and email within 48 hours of my request to expedite but have heard nothing. I rang again and was told just to sit and wait it out with no guarantee that it’ll be sorted in time.

Applied from London and application apparently with Belfast.

idster61
    Participant

Hi all.
    Lost my passport back in April, cancelled it and applied online on 27th April for a replacement. Last communication was to say checking details on 29th April. Since then I have phoned,e-mailed,wrote letters to various HMPOs,got my MP involved and contacted Home Office Minister all to no avail. After nearly 13 weeks waiting and due to travel in 2 weeks I tried to expedite but all I got back was automated response. Finally last night I e-mailed upgrade team at Durham, once again automated response but I received a phone call this morning to say they were processing my application and another e-mail 3 hours later to say it had been printed and was awaiting dispatch. I will still hold my breath until I have my passport in my hands because of all the lies I have been told for the last 3 months but I am really hopeful that the end of the tunnel is near.

Stressedapplicant
    Participant

You may have seen the report from 22/7 when the director of passports, Thomas Grieg, appeared before the Home Affairs Select Committee to explain the delays etc. He estimated that there were 400,000 applications in the system at that time with 10% delayed over 10 weeks, ie 40,000. He also said they were processing about 60,000 applications a week.
    So if they wanted to, the outstanding cases could be cleared in less than a week. But that’s not happened because he’s clearly more interested in processing newer applications within the deadline so their targets are not further damaged.
    He said, very disingenuously, “…our whole focus at the moment is on trying to resolve these applications so people can access their passport if they need it urgently”. Like hell that’s there focus.

rabia1992
    Participant

Hey hope everyone is well. I applied for my kids first passport of the 29/6/22. I rang up and spoke to one of the colleagues they told me that the passports will be getting processed at Durham to send the relevant documents (birth certificates) to Durham which I did, later on i received a text and email saying to send the docs to glasgow but by then it was to late as that morning I posted it to Durham so this caused me to panic abit as I thought it would cause a delay in my application. So every day god knows how many times a day I kept ringing to make them aware of what happened. I also sent a covering letter the next day to Durham of what happened. Anyways 2 and a half weeks have gone by I contact my MP and tell her the situation she said she would contact the passport office, on Tuesday o got a call from the passport office- she said that we got a call from your MP I regards to the docs going to the wrong office, she said she will be contacting Durham to locate the docs. After an hour I got a email and txt to say that we’ve received your documents. So that was that. Yday I got a call to say the same thing we heard the docs have gone to wrong office but they can’t actually locate them we’re they are, few hours later they manage to find it. I got a call this morning saying passports are being printed got an email and txt to say it’s been approved and being printed. Will be dispatched soon. Best thing to do is ring them everyday and contact the MP even tho I was only 3 weeks in I didn’t wanna wait to put myself in thr position of waiting 6-10 weeks!

FeckingA
    Participant

Just an update for my part, the passport arrived early this morning, just as well because we need to leave at 4am tomorrow for the airport run, talk about cutting it fine!!!!

I guess the moral of the story is to get the application months in advance and to keep hounding them for a response, appalling service though.

I read a recent interview with Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary, can’t stand the man usually, but he did have a valid point, they knew this was coming well in advance, airports, airlines and the passport service, but they still weren’t ready.

I blame brexit and covid (lights touch paper and stands well back..)

Good luck to everyone with their applications and thanks for the support on this forum.

Aidan

Stressedapplicant
    Participant

Fantastic Aidan! And what a relief! But 24 hours before travel is far too tight.

I’ve just come off my daily phone call. Today’s magic advice is to re-send your emails with “2nd request” in the subject line. Apparently that’ll do the trick.

So lovely when you’re taken for a fool.

Brian27
    Participant

I sent my 3rd request email this morning so don’t hold your breathe!

idster61
    Participant

Update. Passport arrived today via TNT.Yippee! I really believe that e-mailing the upgrade team at Durham finally got the ball rolling. 13 weeks stuck on someones desk,countless phone calls,e-mails,letters and contact with MPs, then after e-mailing the upgrade team I had my passport approved, printed and delivered in 2 days…. Unbelievable!
    I really hope that everyone on here manages to get their passport in time for their holidays.

Grumpy
    Participant

I have just submitted a step 2 complaint. Found out this morning that because the birth cert wasn’t received until 25th July they have re-set the clock to a 10 week processing time from 25th July. The situation is appalling. The application for a renewal was submitted online on 25th May. Old passport sent within a few days and identity verified on 12th June. Then complete silence until 22nd July when for some reason they asked for my daughter’s birth certificate. I have sent 14 emails to various departments today and my MP, who I must say responded immediately. I’m not giving up until It arrives. It is disgraceful when others are getting them back within days. They basically did nothing for 8 weeks and it’s week 10 next week but I’m being told I can do nothing now for a further 10 weeks. I have emailed the upgrade team at Liverpool in the hope that someone might take pity on me….

mikey42
    Participant

So after getting some good tips and both reassurance and a little panic at times from here, thought I’d share my case – standard adult renewal:

Application submitted 1st May 2022.
    Old passport recieved 16th May. (In Belfast)
    Initially application being processed 18th May, however this later rolled back to the recieved stage.

Had a holiday booked for 5th August since May 2021.

After reading here and other sites, at 10 weeks from application submitted, tried my luck with an email to expeditedservice@hmpo.gov.uk – got an automated response straight back, but nothing more.

10 weeks exactly from old 16th May, rang 03002220000 and option 8 then 3. Was answered very quickly and advised to email expedited and include travel confirmation. Didn’t say I’d previously done this, but email sent again. Told someone would be in contact within 48hrs of sending email. Asked what if no one contacts me – told to ring back and request and upgrade.

Nothing recieved, so on 48hrs rang back and explained situation and was requesting an upgrade. Was forwarded to two further call handlers, one of which was after a 45min wait on hold. They said they’d put notes on my application and told me to email escalatedservice@hmpo.gov.uk with my name and reference in the subject and travel confirmation attached. Again said someone would contact me within 48hrs. Didn’t ask what if this time – plan was to ring again on 48hrs and probably go to local passport office 48hrs before travel anyway.

Recieved the same automated reply as before so didn’t hold out much hope. Was feeling even less confident as 48hrs approached, only to get a call from the Belfast office within minutes of that deadline! Said they had just approved my application and were sending it for printing in Glasgow so that it could be posted with next day by 1p.m. delivery! Told me to ignore the updates I’d get saying I’d recieved my new passport within 2 weeks.

Minutes later got text from tracking to confirm the approval and about an hour later another to confirm the printing.

Not counting any chickens, was beginning to lose hope again by almost mid-day today as I’d not recieved any postal tracking information, when right on cue as I was about to ring back, the passport was posted through my letter box!

The whole saga has added so much more unnecessary stress – the thought of losing £5k on a holiday that’s been rebooked twice since early 2020 was really getting to me – particulary with the stories of many others getting theirs back in days or a couple of weeks!

Good luck to those of you still in the system – you have my greatest sympathy and I hope you all have good news soon!

sabrinaleilaa
    Participant

its been 14 weeks

Ive never been so distressed and heartbroken in my whole life and this whole situation has really tested my patience.
    I am a uk expat in Abu dhabi and my first born waited 8 months because it was messed up during the process and then archived . I ended up with huge fine + 1000 pounds ! if I couldnt have paid I wouldve ended up in prison.

now this is my 3rd child’s 1st passport and during the wait my father became ill in ICU, I begged them to hurry things up but nothing. He eventually passed away and I didnt make it.
    I asked my mother to take my two boys 2 and 4 years old with her to the UK so they can enjoy the better weather and hopefully I would join them soon ?! its already been a month without them and I miss them so much
    Ive waisted me whole (very short) maternity leave waiting for this passport.

I just want to go home to my family

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 253 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.