New Passport Upgrade Service!

Home Forums General Passport Application Discussion New Passport Upgrade Service!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,366 through 1,380 (of 1,653 total)
  • Author
    andstillwaiting
    Participant

They will send it special delivery guarantee by 9am

andstillwaiting
    Participant

@lindsay I got mine 7.50 in morning today. Was printed Wednesday 1.30 and got royal mail tracking by evening

Ellieined
    Participant

An update!

So, after sending the request (on Saturday) to the upgrade team where my daughter’s passport application had been transferred to, I got an acknowledgement on Monday, telling me I’d be contacted.
    I got a call today – actually, 3 (I missed the 2 first ones. Beware it’s a ‘No caller ID’)…
    The man I had on the phone was very pleasant, very efficient, and offered me to upgrade (I was almost 7 weeks since application). It seems that they now have 2 upgrade levels (and price): 7 and 2 days – depending on when you request the upgrade?

Nevertheless, I paid the upgrade top-up on the phone, and my daughter’s passport was printed within a couple of hours. Now praying for all the documents to reach me (I went for the courried delivery rather than going to the passport office… so the saga might not end there).

I find it puzzling that the application just sat between passport offices for weeks, when everything was fine with both the paperwork and photo, for a straightforward renewal submitted online. Maybe dual nationals are processed manually because the foreign passport must be sent along with the old British passport?

The difference in tone between the helpline and the upgrade team was staggering: helpline- mostly a waste of time; upgrade team- super accommodating, lovely and VERY professional.
    I looked at the last passport application I did in 2019 – it took 8 days. Same conditions, same paperwork – now almost a couple of month, and could have been longer if we didn’t have a flight to catch within days.

It’s been exhausting. Because of the foreign passport rule (it’s confiscated until your British passport is approved), I doubt I’ll ever use the standard service again. Now let’s wait for the passport to be in our hands (I’ll keep you updated).

I hope that the story will end well for you all guys too.

joshburn92
    Participant

We sent my wife’s passport away the 23rd of April and was received the 26th. We haven’t heard a thing back and we are suppose to leave for our honeymoon on Tuesday 22nd of June. We spoke to the upgrade team last Tuesday, got told I’d hear back in 48 hours but no call since. Called every day trying to speak to someone, but all you get is “you aren’t guaranteed an upgrade”. Horrible not know what to do! If we don’t hear anything we will go down to Glasgow and hope they help, but it’s been very stressful trying to get this sorted

holly1234_
    Participant

@flying2holiday
    Did you get your passport printed ? We’re planning on going next Thursday for our flight 26th June. Also what documents did you need to take with you to the passport office ?

tom_marchantrm
    Participant

We got to the passport office this morning at 7am and there was all ready around 40 people in line. They’re dealing with people travelling Friday to Monday although I think a few travelling Tuesday are getting seen too. If your planning on turning up bring everything with you just in case they ask for it. We’ve been told to wait 5 hours to see if it’s processed but I’ll give them credit they’re great when you get here and can give you some good info

Rachy40
    Participant

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone (please!!) has an up to date number for the Progress Team?

Now 01633 285419 has also been discontinued.

Thank you so much xx

mmtowns-90
    Participant

Heya there!

So under horrible circumstances, I had my passport stolen a few weeks ago — obviously, the passport office doesn’t care and I wasn’t able to get a fast-track appointment even after trying for quite a few days.

I am going on holiday on the 13 July — and I can’t upgrade my standard application until 6-weeks (which would be the 20th july — far too late for me to go on holiday.)

Has anyone had any luck turning up to the passport office and getting an application upgraded/sorted without a fastrack? aware this is also a lost/stolen passport so they might be even MORE resistant to help me here

andstillwaiting
    Participant

@Rachy40

Ring this number Its Customer Service Management team. i don’t know if this is the same as the progress team but they will give you more information than the Robots on the main helpline!

0300 105 0850.

I used to ring them bang on (yes literally) @8.00 – usually waited no more than around 10-15 minutes. One time i got through in like 3 minutes. if you ring in afternoon you could be waiting hours in my experience.. and the line may even drop after a long period!

Ask them also if there is anything flagged up on the system as a potential issue, which could be the reason for the delay in processing.

Rachy40
    Participant

@andstillwaiting

Thank you so much! I got through to general enquiries this morning and they’ve put in a call back request but it’s so hit and miss! This much better and I’ll try ringing first thing in the morning.

We applied 6 weeks ago for a child renewal and it’s taken 5 while weeks from the date the documents were signed for until logged as received. The envelope contained a paper confirmation of identity form as the online link wasn’t working when we first applied and we panicked! Paying for it now, I suspect 🙁

We travel on 5th July but without a confirmed identity (yet) I’m not sure we can request the upgrade. Probably try going in person 48 hours before but I want to speak to someone so they can confirm that at least all docs have been scanned in successfully!

Phew! What a nightmare! Thanks for the advice xxxx

snewtorious
    Participant

Hello all. I wanted to share my successful experience in getting an upgrade, in case its helpful.

Applied on 22nd April, travel on 20th June. On 3rd June I called the adviceline who said they would arrange a callback. On 6th June I got a callback from someone who put me on hold for an hour and then passed me over to someone who had idea why I’d been called. So I decided to just send the email to the Liverpool office requesting an upgrade, rather than waiting for the upgrade team to call me. Got the standard acknowledgement.

On 13th June I missed a call from the upgrade team (I think). They said to ring the main line to get back to them, so I did, spent a lot of time on hold, eventually someone said they will request a callback. On 15th June noone has called, so I called again and this time asked to be put through to the upgrade team, which they wouldn’t do but did put me through to the progress team. This was the first person who was actually helpful – they emailed Liverpool on my behalf and on 16th June someone from the upgrade team at Liverpool called, took the money, called back and said the passport is ready for collection. On 17th June the callback finally came through but I told them it was sorted.

So I think what worked here was emailing the Liverpool office, rather than waiting for callbacks etc. And then getting through to the progress team, rather that the useless people on the main line. I also booked a £10 flight so that I would be eligible for the upgrade (actually travelling on 26th June but wanted some breathing room).

sostressedout
    Participant

Does anyone know what the upgrade email address is for the Glasgow office?
    And what information do I need to include in the email? I have proof of travel in a week

Advice line keeps telling me different things so I thought I may have more luck just emailing directly.

amylousie22
    Participant

There all the name of office and then upgrade team
    So it would be
    GlasgowUpgradeTeam@hmpo.gov.uk

You need to add ref number and proof of flight. I go on the 25th and i sent my upgrade email nearly a week ago now and still not heard back. Good luck

Flowers27
    Participant

Could I check if everyone gets an acknowledgement after emailing the upgrade teams? I have not received one from the Liverpool office, but I did from the Newport office? Would be interested to know if anyone has been contacted by upgrade without receiving an acknowledgement email?

coolhandluke
    Participant

Hope this helps to anyone who is in the same boat I was in.

Child first passport,Sent passport off via royal mail track and trace April 19th.

Got the “documents received” message 26th April. Papers went to Durham, I live in Lodnon.

Flying on the 19th of April and concern started to set in week of the 6th june, as we had no updates what so ever, i know we had a few bank holidays but knew this was taken to long. Phoning the number and pressing 8 then 3 was great, would only wait 10 minutes to speak to an agent. However i found it pot luck who you spoke to, some would help and some would be very direct. Either way the outcome was always the same, “we only know what you know”.

We applied for the fast track service when we was 2 weeks from flying, and was told what everyone is told, someone will contact you in 48 hours to take payment can you send an e mail with flight details etc etc.
    Email sent but days went by with no e mail no phone call.

I managed to get a fast track appointment in london this week, only to find out they cant process two passports at the same time. I still went to it tho, hoping for answers as we fly this sunday with only a few days left… Straight from the off It was chaos. must of been 30 people waiting outside and another 15 queuing. Passed through security and waited all in all about 30 minutes to speak to an adviser, who tried to help as much as he could but was still left in the same position. All I was being told was its at Durham and the upgrade team nothing we can do.
    Downstairs is an enquiries desk, i hung about to talk to the lady and finally got some answers, although it was not what i wanted to hear.
    She said because we did a track and trace and we didnt submit our application online, the chances of London printing my passport 48hrs before we fly are slim. This was because they had not been looked at yet let alone uploaded digitally. She said I could try coming back friday to London and “try my luck” but nothing is guaranteed.

I made the decision to take a train up to Durham 2 days before we fly. I arrived around 10:30 and was about 15 people in the que, took me 2 hours to get inside and speak with someone and was told I can get upgraded and will have the passport later today.
    I’ve got to say I know everyone’s opinion differ but Durham was great. The staff and the security team are only to happy to help. they know its stressful and never stopped helping.

Bottom line, if you are flying within the 48 hours time frame dont be put off by going to a passport office. They will want to help. I’m not sure if I went to London if they could of helped me, but I was very relived i decided to go all the way to the north east as it seemed quite easy once things started to move. Id get there early to give you the best chance of getting it that day, by the time your application is checked and printed can take most the day.

Good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1,366 through 1,380 (of 1,653 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.